What do the new labels on Photographic Chemicals mean?

Since January 2009, a new labelling system for all EU Member States, including the UK, is slowly being applied to consumer chemical products. It is known by its abbreviated form, ‘the CLP Regulation’ or just plain ‘CLP’. The CLP Regulation adopts the United Nations’ Globally Harmonised System on the classification and labelling of chemicals (GHS) and is a voluntary agreement rather than a law, it has to be adopted through a suitable national or regional legal mechanism to ensure it becomes legally binding. That’s what the CLP Regulation does.

As the scheme has to be completed by next year, you’ll start to see these new labels appear on orders from us this spring and a new set of hazard pictograms (quite similar to the old ones) are used.You can download these pictograms from https://www.hse.gov.uk.

Look out for the Toxic to Aquatic Life one which is new, however, very few photo chemicals actually display this symbol. Dispose safely when they do by not contaminating a water course.  

21st February 2014

Back to news